No Deceit?

1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. 2 Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit. (Psalm 32)
I have read this verse and would hesitate to consider myself thus blessed because of the last 7 words. I always thought that it was saying you are forgiven, your sins are covered, and the Lord does not count your sins against you if and only if I am never deceptive--if there is no deceit in me. In other words, forgiveness is conditional based on no sign of deceit in my life. I would become discouraged because when I am really honest, I have to admit that I am not always truthful; in fact, my natural tendency is to leave things out, cover things over and maybe even outright lie in order to save my own rear end. It is not my natural tendancy to always be truthful. However, I believe God revealed something awesomely wonderful to me today. Consider the words, "in whose spirit is no deceit." The gospel of Jesus Christ declares that we were dead spiritually, made alive in Christ and completely forgiven of all of our sins. The New Creation is a spiritual reality--the New Person God made us to be is a spiritual reality, and the person that has been forgiven, justified by faith is "dead to sin and alive to God" and there is not an ounce of deceit in the New Creation 14because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. (Hebrews 10) This perfection is the Spirit Man, and there is no deceit in perfection. I can declare by faith that I am blessed, forgiven and have no deceit in my spirit--this promise is for all who believe, and it encourages me to go boldly to the throne where I can be completely honest and open before God.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So appreciate your transparency here...about a month ago I found myself telling a lie. When I entered into the conversation, there was nothing in me that planned or even desired to spin the fact, yet there it was!

I knew the elderly person I was speaking with wouldn't remember and possibly hadn't even heard. These are the arguments I presented to the Lord when He prompted me to go back and own up. He wasn't swayed and gently convicted me once again.

So I went and admitted to my dishonesty...and I was right--she didn't remember or hear me.

The beautiful thing about the whole experience, though, was that it actually confirmed my identity. I may have been a 'spin doctor' but as a new creation, I'm not one now...I'm a daughter of the living God who takes no joy or comfort in lying (even little white ones that no one remembers)and who has no desire to get away with it.

He chastens those He loves and after its all said and done, I feel quite loved.

Popular posts from this blog

The Conviciton Myth

ALL THINGS