Grief, Loss and the Raising of Lazarus

 _____William Lloyd

Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead; He knew he was going to raise him, and yet he wept over his death. Why would Jesu weep knowing in a few minutes Lazarus would be alive and well? At first, I thought that Jesus was mourning with those who mourn. He did not weep when Martha came, but instead appealed to Martha’s intellect and faith. He provided her facts with the hope of the resurrection. When Mary came, Jesus wept with her. Perhaps, Mary was more upset evidenced by her crying, and Jesus was meeting her where she was at. It does say that “when Jesus saw her weeping…he was deeply moved.” So, I figured, Jesus was mourning with those who mourn like a good Christian should, and then got  on to the business of raising Lazarus. After my son died, my thoughts on all of this changed. I truly believe that Jesus, being human, grieved for his friend. I also believe that Jesus saw what sin and death is doing to His children. Was this the first time, as Jesus of Nazareth, he fully realized the death of a loved one is the most painful thing we face in life?  Did he see that what Mary was feeling is played out continually, day after day in the lives of His children. He had a front row seat to the pain death brings to humanity. He saw the suffering of loss, and he wept for us all who walk this path of pain. The cataclysmic pain brought about by the death of my son is not something I would not wish on my worst enemy. It is hell. Beyond a doubt, I know Jesus wept for me and with me . It is important to note that Jesus had just reviewed the promises of resurrection with Martha. Now, with Mary, he was weeping. I can tell you that I had officiated over 20  funerals and walked with families through bereavement. I assured them of all of God’s promises and hope of reunion one day. Some even testified to how much it helped them. Now, I had a front row seat, and I was torn apart. Breathing was an effort, and anxiety reigned. God’s promises fell flat and could not penetrate the pain. The words I spoke to others to comfort them now mocked me. My faith was shaken. Doubt and uncertainty had won  the day. God did not let me go, so I was able to pray,  “Lord I believe, help me in my unbelief.” I screamed, cried, wailed and did it again and again.. God's comfort began to break through.  Jesus defeated death, but it is still an enemy. It is still devastating from our side, and it would not be bearable if God did not have an answer for us.  If God created us, and then, left us in the dark with no answers for the most painful thing we face in life, He would be a cruel prankster. If God left us to ourselves to face this, He would be just plain uncaring and awful to be around.  Do you ever wonder why  Christmas is such a big deal?  I think it is because one of the missions of Jesus was to answer this very question. It could not be more clear that Jesus came to give us the comfort and hope we need to move through the wilderness of our intense pain.  

"This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10 but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel." (2 Tim 2:10)

God has not left us in the dark concerning death. He fixed the whole damn thing. He promises to make all things new, and He promises we will live with Him, our loved ones, and “the nations” on a New Heaven and a New Earth. He promises to wipe every tear from our eye and tells us there “will be no more death or mourning, crying nor pain.” Think of the beautiful intimacy of the act of wiping away a tear. Jesus will do that one day. The gospel is good news for all people. There is no better news to me presently than that of me being hugged by Jesus, Him wiping tears from my eyes, and my son Liam, and my Dad standing there watching and smiling from ear to ear. God is good. He weeps with us now and will rejoice with us eternally. I am living proof he raises the dead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You're a Great Person

Knowing Your Enemy is Half the Battle