The Gospel According to Annie





1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God[a]; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." (John 14)I was watching the play Annie with my daughter Grace Marie. There is a scene where Daddy Warbucks wants to show orphan Annie unconditional love by bringing her to his mansion for Christmas time and give her all the pleasanties of life. Warbuck's assistant asks Annie, "What do you want to do first?" Annie replies, "I think the windows, and then I will mop the floors..." She thought that Warbucks brought her there to work...to be used..." The assistant then told Annie why Daddy Warbucks brought her there...for her company...to share everything he had with her....for those few days it was all hers. Yep, you got it, God spoke to me through that scene. We often think that our relationship with God depends on what we do or don't do--that the only reason he wants us is to "use us for His glory." I have a sneaky suspicion that it rarely occurs to us that God sent His Son light years across the universe to die on the cross on our behalf so that He could bring us to Himself and enjoy our presence and fellowship for all eternity--that God really does love us unconditionally and actually is thrilled, happy and excited with who He has made us to be. We are "heirs of God and Co-heirs with Christ"* This means that we are just as significant and important to God as Jesus. God wants to be with us and wants us to be with Him. We dont' have to work our way into His favor...we already have it more than we know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Conviciton Myth

ALL THINGS